Our Back Rhodes Genealogy Pages


From the book entitled: A History of Northwest Missouri, Volume 2
Edited by Walter Williams
Publisher: General Books LLC (March 12, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1153850222
ISBN-13: 978-1153850223
Page 1172-1173

Samuel A. Sandy was reared on his father's farm in the Old Dominion State, was brought up with the idea of becoming a tiller of the soil, and secured his educational training there in the country schools. When he was eighteen years of age he began working out by the month on farms in the vicinity of his birthplace, and continued to be so engaged for four years. Mr. Sandy came to Missouri in 1870, arriving at Norborne, Carroll County, March 18 of that year. He had a working capital of eighteen dollars, but on the night of his arrival he was exposed to the measles, which he contracted, his illness incapacitating him for three weeks and consuming his capital. When he had sufficiently recovered he found employment as a farm hand and for four years worked by the month for Thomas H. Wollard, S. A. Wollard and others. During the next three years he was engaged in operations on rented land, and in 1878 he became a proprietor when he purchased his first tract of land, a piece of sixty acres of raw prairie, which formed the nucleus for his present handsome farm. In the spring of the same year he built a frame house, 14x24 feet, and one and one-half stories in height, and here began to make his home. At this time he has 177 acres, of which forty acres are located in Carroll County and the remainder in Ray County. His property is in the finest shape imaginable, a model of neatness, with its fine machinery, equipment and appliances of every kind, and as bright as the proverbial new pin. The buildings are of substantial character and modern architecture, and the whole property eloquently attests the presence of thrift and able management. Mr. Sandy for the greater part devotes himself to general farming operations, but for the past fourteen years has also been engaged in stockraising, making a specialty of Shorthorn cattle and Chester White hogs and securing top-notch prices in the markets for his product. Mr. Sandy has never desired public office, but has ever been ready to aid his fellow-citizens in securing public benefits. He has passed his sixty-sixth year, but still is active and alert and takes a keen interest in all that affects his community. He and Mrs. Sandy are consistent members of the Brethren Church. They have had eleven children, as follows: Charles F., who is a resident of Idaho; David W., whose home is in Daviess County, Missouri; Susan V., who is the wife of M. M. Brink, of New Mexico; Sallie, who is the wife of S. G. Newham, of Ray County, Missouri; Cora, who is the wife of E. E. Brunk, of Dexter, New Mexico; and Mittie, Kate, Raleigh, Grace, Lois and Eunice, who are all at home with their parents.

On December 23, 1874, Mr. Sandy was married to Miss Minnie Rhodes, who was also born in Rockingham County, Virginia, a daughter of David B. and Sarah (Zigler) Rhodes. The father was born in Rockingham County, August 20, 1828, and died May 15, 1902, in Idaho, while on a visit. Mrs. Rhodes was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, July 15, 1837, and died January 18, 1909. Mr. and Mrs. Rhodes were the parents of eight children, all of whom are living, as follows: Mrs. Sandy; Emma F., who is the widow of John C. Van Tremp, formerly a prosperous farmer of Ray County; Laura A., who is the wife of Samuel K. Rhodes, of Ray County; John M., who lives-in this county; Elizabeth, who is the wife of Samuel E. Hogan, of Ray County; Sidney C., who lives in Idaho; Jacob S., living in California; and Iva, the wife of Luther I. Miller, of Ray County.

David b: Rhodes was reared in Virginia and there attended the public schools until reaching the age of eighteen years, at which time he started to learn the trade of carpenter, an occupation which he followed for ten years. He was married in 1856 and in 1858 partially gave up carpentering and engaged in farming, which he followed in Virginia until 1868, and in that year came to Ray County. Here he settled on a farm in Section 35, Grape Grove Township, purchasing ninety-six acres of land on which he carried on farming and stockraising up to the time of his death. During the period of the Civil war, .Mr. Rhodes lived in the "burned district" of the Shenandoah Valley, and suffered considerable loss by reason of the ravages of warfare, but his courageous spirit and determination did not allow him to become discouraged, and in after years he was able to accumulate another fortune and to die in comfortable circumstances. He was one of the substantial men of his section and one who could be implicitly relied upon to perform conscientiously and well the duties of citizenship. He and his wife were consistent members of the German Baptist Church and wherever known were highly respected and esteemed.