The following is from Jonathan Rhodes of Sussex, UK, click "" to email him.
1. Jonathan Rhodes was born in 1776 in Yorkshire. He died in 1845 in Charnock Hall, Gleadless, Derbyshire.. Charnock Hall was a big house at Gleadless in Derbyshire. It no longer exists and the area is now a modern Housing Estate with a post-war Primary School which bears the name. In the 1800s, Gleadless had the county boundary between Yorkshire and Derbyshire cutting the village in half - Charnock Hall was on the Derbyshire side of the border. Nowadays (2001), the whole of Gleadless is in South Yorkshire and it is, in fact, a built-up suburb of Sheffield.
He was married to Sarah Dickinson on 20 Nov 1803 in Rotherham, Yorkshire. Sarah Dickinson was born in 1781. Jonathan Rhodes and Sarah Dickinson had the following children:
+2 i. James Rhodes.
2. James Rhodes was born in 1814 in Gleadless, Derbyshire. He was christened on 4 Dec 1814 in St Peter's Cathedral, Sheffield.. He was a in 1860 in Coalpit Proprietor.
He was married to Harriet Cockayne in 1836 in Rotherham, Yorkshire.
Harriet Cockayne was born in 1816. James Rhodes and Harriet Cockayne had the following children:
3 i. Albert Rhodes.
+4 ii. Thomas Rhodes.
5 iii. Jonathan Rhodes was born in 1838.
6 iv. Harriet Rhodes was born in 1839.
7 v. William Rhodes was born in 1840.
+8 vi. James Rhodes.
4. Thomas Rhodes.
Emily Mary White died in 1921 in Norwood, Massachusetts, USA.. She was born in Sheffield, Yorkshire. Thomas Rhodes and Emily Mary White had the following children:
9 i. Albert Rhodes.
10 ii. Herbert Rhodes.
11 iii. Bernard Rhodes.
12 iv. Daughter Rhodes.
+13 v. Daughter2 Rhodes.
+14 vi. Daughter3 Rhodes.
15 vii. Albert Rhodes.
8. James Rhodes was born in 1841 in Gleadless, Derbyshire. He was christened on 12 Dec 1841 in Gleadless, Derbyshire. He died on 26 Dec 1911 in Rotherham Yorkshire. James was a Piano Wire manufacturer in Sheffield. He made an absolute fortune which his son eventually spent! His wife, Helen McTurk was, by all accounts a shadowy figure who enjoyed permenant ill-health in later life. James died on Boxing Day 1911, when he 'accidentally' shot himself while cleaning his shotgun after a Boxing-Day shoot.
He was married to Helen McTurk (daughter of Andrew McTurk) on 26 Dec 1867 in Howard Street Independent, Sheffield.. Marriage Record: Sheffield, 9c, Page 683 Helen McTurk was born in 1839 in Sheffield, Yorkshire. She died in 1916 in Sheffield, Yorkshire. James Rhodes and Helen McTurk had the following children:
+16 i. Beatrice Helen Rhodes.
+17 ii. James Spencer Rhodes.
18 iii. Wilfred McTurk Rhodes was born in 1876. He died in 1909. Wilfred's untimely death happened in India where, family legend has it, he sleepwalked of a house roof.
Believe what you may!
+19 iv. Kate Evelyn Rhodes.
13. Daughter2 Rhodes.
14. Daughter3 Rhodes.
16. Beatrice Helen Rhodes was born in 1869.
17. James Spencer Rhodes was born in 1871 in Rotherham, Yorks.. He died in 1953 in Middleton-One-Row, Co Durham. James, known throughout his life as Spencer, was a horse-mad country gentleman. He lived all his life on his father's legacy and, to the best of my knowledge, never had what might be described as 'a proper job'. None the less, his children were privately educated and the family lived in some splendour in Bakewell in Derbyshire. Whenever Spencer had to state his profession on any sort of legal document, he always just wrote the word 'Gentleman'. For mild amusement, he bought and sold racehorses - mainly 'Point-to-Pointers'.
I never knew Spencer , my Grandfather, he died before I was born but by all accounts, he was a deeply lovable man. The stories about him are legion - a typical one tells of a time he went on the train from Derbyshire to London for the day. He took with him a pound in spending money and returned complaining bitterly about the cost of everything in London....and with nineteen and six still in his pocket!
Edith Alma Wood (daughter of John Wood and Mary Ann Binks) was born in 1884 in Arksey, Yorks. She died about 1907. James Spencer Rhodes and Edith Alma Wood had the following children:
+20 i. James Reginald Spencer Rhodes.
+21 ii. Alma Rhodes.
James Spencer Rhodes and Katherine Ingleby had the following children:
22 i. Marie Josephine Rhodes.
+23 ii. Margaret Katherine Rhodes.
19. Kate Evelyn Rhodes was born in 1878.
Kate Evelyn Rhodes and ? Cook had the following children:
24 i. McTurk Cook.
20. James Reginald Spencer Rhodes was born on 16 Dec 1903 in Doncaster, Yorks.. He died on 3 May 1985 in Cotherstone, Co Durham. He was buried in Darlington, Co Durham. (Cremated). James Reginald Spencer was my father. He was known as Reg or Reggie. Born in 1903, he was rather a 20th century rebel! He went to a prep-school in Bakewell, which he hated - and then went on to Repton. Leaving Repton, he wanted to be an Engineer, rather than go into the church - which was all Repton pushed for at the time (the headmaster became Archbishop of Canterbury, as did my father's form-mate, Michael Ramsay!) Reg went to Sheffield University to study Engineering. His first job was laying out the Mersey Tunnel. He then was one of the founders of ICI at Billingham for whom he worked for 40 years. Twice married - his first wife died at an early age - he was a wise and loving man. An atheist all his life, he was the most Christian man you could ever wish to meet.
Reg loved the countryside - he lived in it all his life - and for holidays the wild and remote was what attracted him. He was a fine athlete - in his university days he had out-sprinted Harold Abrams( of 'Chariots of Fire' fame) and, on seeing the film in his old age, asked, 'what's the fuss about? - I beat them both!' He was never happier than when he was in his favourite place - Arisaig on the North-West coast of Scotland.
He was married to Marion Alexandra Thompson in 1930 in Norton-on-Tees. Marion Alexandra Thompson was born on 1 Dec 1903 in Hetton Le Hole. She died in 1950. James Reginald Spencer Rhodes and Marion Alexandra Thompson had the following children:
+25 i. June Alexandra Rhodes.
+26 ii. Jill Spencer Rhodes.
He was married to Bessie Bessant (daughter of John Bessant and Harriet Amelia Wastell) on 31 Jul 1952 in Middlesbrough, Yorkshire. Bessie Bessant was born on 23 Jan 1923 in Middlesborough, Yorks. She was born in Middlebrough, Yorkshire, England. James Reginald Spencer Rhodes and Bessie Bessant had the following children:
27 i. Jonathan James Rhodes. (private) This is me!
I went to and then to The Rose Bruford College of Speech and Drama. A trained actor and teacher, I went into teaching and loved it. I have since worked in professional theatre and have written a number of musicals. In 1998, I picked up a rare virus which lead to two lots of open-heart surgery (after the second of which I came within ten minutes of meeting my maker!) a stroke and a life stuck in a wheelchair.
My first love is still musical theatre.
21. Alma Rhodes.
Alma Rhodes and Edward Beesley had the following children:
28 i. James Martin Beesley (private)
+29 ii. Henry Spencer Beesley.
23. Margaret Katherine Rhodes.
Joseph Bradshaw died in 1998. Margaret Katherine Rhodes and Joseph Bradshaw had the following children:
+30 i. Peter Bradshaw.
31 ii. Katherine Margaret Bradshaw, (private).